- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons each celery seed, fennel seed and sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the oats, honey, eggs, salt, pepper, cooked bulgur and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until elastic, about 6-8 minutes (mixture will be lumpy). Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 22 pieces. Roll each into a ball. Brush two 9-in. round baking pans with some of the oil.
- Arrange 11 balls in each pan; brush tops with remaining oil. Combine the celery seed, fennel seed, sesame seeds and poppy seeds; sprinkle over rolls. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 22 rolls.
Reviews for Three Grain Pan Rolls
"Glad I tried this recipe, will be baking them again."
"It was soft and yummy,all the seeds gived it some good flavor,me and my family loved it."
"Great flavor, hearty rolls. We didn't have celery seed, but did the rest as written (except skim milk instead of 2%)."