Three-Fruit Sundae Sauce Recipe
We brought back some from a trip to Wisconsin, and I wanted to make something besides pie. I dreamed up this bright-red sauce that blends rhubarb with strawberries, oranges, cinnamon and lemon peel. It's wonderful over vanilla ice cream. -Sharron Trefren Grand Bay, Alabama
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 cups chopped fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups fresh or frozen sweetened sliced strawberries
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, rhubarb, strawberries, oranges and lemon peel until blended. Stir in the water and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until thickened. Discard cinnamon stick. Cool. Refrigerate until chilled. Serve over ice cream. Yield: 7 cups.
Originally published as Three-Fruit Sundae Sauce in Taste of Home June/July 2004, p29
Reviews for Three-Fruit Sundae Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 29, 2011
I made this years ago and entered a ice cream contest with the sauce, won first prize and many wanted the recipe, it has been passed on to many over the years. Can also be used over angel food cake or pound cake. A real winner