- smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl,
- turning once to grease top. Cover and set aside.
- To the second bowl, add molasses; mix well. Gradually add whole wheat
- flour. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic,
- about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease
- top. Cover and set aside.
- To the third bowl, gradually add all-purpose flour. Turn onto a
- floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover all three
- bowls and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch doughs down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide each
- in half. Shape each half into a 15-in. rope. Place a rope of each
- dough on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and
- tuck under. Repeat with remaining ropes. Cover and let rise until
- nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with
- butter. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16
- slices each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 120 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 79 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.