Beautiful sliced or whole, this very pretty multicolored bread from Audrey Benson of Flagler, Colorado freezes well so you can enjoy it anytime of year. And the flavor? Great!
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- RYE DOUGH:
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1-1/4 cups rye flour
- WHEAT DOUGH:
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- WHITE DOUGH:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the oil, sugar, salt and 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour; beat for 2 minutes. Add remaining all-purpose flour; beat for 2 minutes longer. Divide evenly into three bowls.
- To the first bowl, add molasses, cocoa and caraway; mix well. Gradually add rye flour. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and set aside.
- To the second bowl, add molasses; mix well. Gradually add whole wheat flour. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and set aside.
- To the third bowl, gradually add all-purpose flour. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover all three bowls and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch doughs down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide each in half. Shape each half into a 15-in. rope. Place a rope of each dough on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining ropes. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Three-Flour Braid in Country Woman January/February 1997, p22
Reviews for Three-Flour Braid
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 10, 2009
"Have made this recipe twice. Will make again. very tasty."
Reviewed Apr. 4, 2009 Edited Oct. 10, 2009
"Fantastic flavor. Will make again."