Beautiful sliced or whole, this very pretty multicolored bread from Audrey Benson of Flagler, Colorado freezes well so you can enjoy it anytime of year. And the flavor? Great!
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- RYE DOUGH:
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1-1/4 cups rye flour
- WHEAT DOUGH:
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- WHITE DOUGH:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the oil, sugar, salt and 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour; beat for 2 minutes. Add remaining all-purpose flour; beat for 2 minutes longer. Divide evenly into three bowls.
- To the first bowl, add molasses, cocoa and caraway; mix well. Gradually add rye flour. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and set aside.
- To the second bowl, add molasses; mix well. Gradually add whole wheat flour. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and set aside.
- To the third bowl, gradually add all-purpose flour. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover all three bowls and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch doughs down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide each in half. Shape each half into a 15-in. rope. Place a rope of each dough on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining ropes. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Three-Flour Braid in Country Woman January/February 1997, p22
Reviews for Three-Flour Braid
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 10, 2009
"Have made this recipe twice. Will make again. very tasty."
Reviewed Apr. 4, 2009 Edited Oct. 10, 2009
"Fantastic flavor. Will make again."