Three-Chip English Toffee Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 2 cups butter, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white baking chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 1/2 teaspoon butter. In a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, bring sugar and remaining butter to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Uncover; add almonds. Cook and stir with a clean spoon until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage) and mixture is golden brown.
- Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape sides of saucepan). Surface will be buttery. Cool for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle with milk chocolate chips. Let stand for 1-2 minutes; spread chocolate over the top. Sprinkle with walnuts; press down gently with the back of a spoon. Chill for 10 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt semisweet chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over walnuts. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Melt vanilla chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over walnuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Break into pieces. Yield: about 2-1/2 pounds.
Reviews for Three-Chip English Toffee
Sort By :
"I use sliced almonds instead of slivered (I think they look prettier in the finished product)I have made it for years and sent to friends on Veterans Day - its a great gift for overseas friends"
"I found this recipe in a Taste of Home cookbook years ago and have made it every Christmas since for my family and often have make 2 batches they love it so much!"
"I make this every year at Christmas for my husband. He loves it!"
"I love this recipe. Make it every year with a few changes. I use pecans instead of walnuts. I pour it in my buttered cookie sheet and slightly tilt it so it evens out. After 7 minutes I score it with a cookie cutter and let cool. When cool I break the squares apart and dip in melted milk chocolate to completely cover the toffee. Tastes like the best toffee candy bar EVER! I can't make enough to keep up with all my friends requests for more!"
"My friend who is a baker visited me and I gave her a list of goodies to make for me for the freezer. This was one of them and it was my very favorite, I could not stop eating this and I will be very tempted to make it once it is gone. It is addicting."