- 1/2 teaspoon plus 2 cups butter, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white baking chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 1/2 teaspoon butter. In a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, bring sugar and remaining butter to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Uncover; add almonds. Cook and stir with a clean spoon until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage) and mixture is golden brown.
- Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape sides of saucepan). Surface will be buttery. Cool for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle with milk chocolate chips. Let stand for 1-2 minutes; spread chocolate over the top. Sprinkle with walnuts; press down gently with the back of a spoon. Chill for 10 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt semisweet chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over walnuts. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Melt vanilla chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over walnuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Break into pieces. Yield: about 2-1/2 pounds.
Reviews for Three-Chip English Toffee
"I use sliced almonds instead of slivered (I think they look prettier in the finished product)I have made it for years and sent to friends on Veterans Day - its a great gift for overseas friends"
"I found this recipe in a Taste of Home cookbook years ago and have made it every Christmas since for my family and often have make 2 batches they love it so much!"
"I make this every year at Christmas for my husband. He loves it!"
"I love this recipe. Make it every year with a few changes. I use pecans instead of walnuts. I pour it in my buttered cookie sheet and slightly tilt it so it evens out. After 7 minutes I score it with a cookie cutter and let cool. When cool I break the squares apart and dip in melted milk chocolate to completely cover the toffee. Tastes like the best toffee candy bar EVER! I can't make enough to keep up with all my friends requests for more!"
"My friend who is a baker visited me and I gave her a list of goodies to make for me for the freezer. This was one of them and it was my very favorite, I could not stop eating this and I will be very tempted to make it once it is gone. It is addicting."