Three-Cheese Turkey Manicotti Recipe
- 12 uncooked manicotti shells
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 jar (24 ounces) three-cheese spaghetti sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg
- 1. Cook manicotti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, sugar, Italian seasoning, onion powder and garlic powder. Place 1 cup meat sauce into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 2. Drain manicotti. In a large bowl, combine the cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese, ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and egg. Stuff into manicotti shells. Place shells over meat sauce. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked manicotti casserole for up to 1 month. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed. Yield: 6 servings.
2 filled manicotti shells equals 647 calories, 34 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 158 mg cholesterol, 937 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 40 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.