Three-Cheese Souffles Recipe
No matter when I've made these soufflés, they have always been a success. Although I've never seen the centers start to fall, it's best to plan on serving them hot from the oven. —Jean Ference, Sherwood Park, Alberta
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, mustard, salt and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in cheeses until melted. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 2. Separate eggs. Place egg whites in a medium bowl; stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored, about 4 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup hot cheese mixture; return all to remaining cheese mixture, stirring constantly. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Preheat oven to 325°. Place eight ungreased 8-oz. ramekins in a baking pan.
- 4. With clean beaters, beat egg whites with cream of tartar on high speed until stiff but not dry. With a rubber spatula, gently stir a fourth of the egg whites into cheese mixture. Fold in remaining whites.
Transfer to prepared ramekins. Add 1 in. of hot water to baking pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Serve immediately.
Freeze option: Securely wrap unbaked soufflés with foil and freeze. To use, preheat oven to 325°. Remove foil and place frozen soufflés in a baking pan; add 1 in. warm water to larger pan. Bake 60-65 minutes or until heated through and tops are golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 317 calories, 24 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 223 mg cholesterol, 424 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC