“This satisfying soup is fantastic any autumn or winter day. The blend of Swiss, Parmesan and mozzarella gives it a richness onion-soup lovers will enjoy.” —Gina Berry, Chanhassen, Minnesota
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 7 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add the broth, water, soup mix, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with Swiss and mozzarella cheeses. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls; top each with a toast slice. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Three-Cheese French Onion Soup in Simple & Delicious October/November 2010, p19
Reviews for Three-Cheese French Onion Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review