Three-Cheese Fondue Recipe
- 1/2 pound each Emmenthaler, Gruyere and Jarlsberg cheeses, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 4 teaspoons cherry brandy
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Cubed French bread baguette, boiled red potatoes and/or tiny whole pickles
- 1. In a large bowl, combine cheeses and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. In a small bowl, combine remaining cornstarch and brandy; set aside. In a large saucepan, heat wine over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium-low; add a handful of cheese mixture. Stir constantly, using a figure-eight motion, until cheese is almost completely melted. Continue adding cheese, one handful at a time, allowing cheese to almost completely melt between additions.
- 3. Stir brandy mixture; gradually stir into cheese mixture. Add spices; cook and stir until mixture is thickened and smooth.
- 4. Transfer to a fondue pot and keep warm. Serve with bread cubes, potatoes and/or pickles. Yield: 4 cups.
1/4 cup (calculated without baguette, potatoes or pickles) equals 191 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 151 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 12 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.