Three-Cheese & Pepper Penne Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 jars (7 ounces each) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella and provolone cheese
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, saute chicken in 1 teaspoon oil until no longer pink. Remove from the skillet. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining oil until tender.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, saute garlic in butter for 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the red peppers, mozzarella and provolone cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, mushrooms and chicken.
- 3. Drain pasta; stir into sauce. Divide between two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Sprinkle each with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- 4. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
- 5. To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until bubbly, stirring once. Yield: 2 casseroles (5 servings each).
1-1/3 cups equals 534 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 1,002 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.