This creamy pasta entree comes together in a snap. It makes two casseroles, so you can freeze one or share it with friends. —Jasey McBurnett, Rock Springs, Wyoming
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 jars (7 ounces each) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella and provolone cheese
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, saute chicken in 1 teaspoon oil until no longer pink. Remove from the skillet. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining oil until tender.
- In a Dutch oven, saute garlic in butter for 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the red peppers, mozzarella and provolone cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, mushrooms and chicken.
- Drain pasta; stir into sauce. Divide between two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Sprinkle each with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until bubbly, stirring once. Yield: 2 casseroles (5 servings each).
Originally published as Three-Cheese & Pepper Penne in Simple & Delicious April/May 2011, p33
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Three-Cheese & Pepper Penne
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review