This chili-like soup is delicious and very low in fat. Salsa, cumin and chili powder gave it plenty of flavor while several canned items make it fast to throw together on busy nights. Joni Voit
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until
- tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the remaining
- ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10
- minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 201 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 755 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.