Three-Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Three-Bean Soup(11)
Sort By :
I love the way the non fat refried beans thIckened the whole soup! I'm sensitive to too hot and spicy food, but I still like a mild kick for interest. I omitted the salsa, which I didn't have and used green chili refried beans instead. I also didn't have the green pepper, so I chopped up kale in its place. Delicious and nutritious!
This is an excellent bean soup. When we serve it, we garnish it with shredded cheese (taco flavored), sour cream and Fritos. Probably the best bean soup we have ever eaten.
Correcting an error... Prep Time/Cook Time: All together was about 45 minutes for me.
This soup was quite delish, and quite spicy.
But I also used a good quality brand of chili powder, and a medium tasting salsa. At first I thought the 4 cloves of garlic would of been a bit much, but it wasn't. When saute'ing the vegetables, I added 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to the pan, plus I added another teaspoon just before adding the minced garlic. I like that this soup was high in fber, but I did add 1 tablespoon of Flax Seed for more added fiber. I also threw in 2 handfuls of frozen corn kernels just before bringing the soup to a boil. The added corn was a nice touch to the soup! Prep time for me was about 45 minutes. Joni, this soup was excellant. My hubby enjoyed it too! I look forward to making this soup often, as it's a keeper!
This was just ok...it was better the next day when reheated and served over rice with some Cheddar on top. I would only make again if I tweak it a bit.
More Recipe Collections
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >
- Mexican Soups >
- Simple Quick Recipes >
- Simple Soup Recipes >