Three-Bean Chili with Polenta Crust Recipe
Easy to assemble, this zesty one-dish meal is ideal for a busy weeknight or to serve last-minute guests. Dial down the heat by using a Mexican blend instead of the chili seasoning.—Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Delaware
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 tube (1 pound) polenta, cut into thin slices
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion and pepper in oil until tender. Add the garlic, chili seasoning, brown sugar and allspice; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 2. Transfer to an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish (dish will be full). Place dish on a baking sheet. Arrange polenta slices over top; sprinkle with cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 393 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 1,495 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Reviews for Three-Bean Chili with Polenta Crust
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC