- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 tube (1 pound) polenta, cut into thin slices
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and pepper in oil until tender. Add the garlic, chili seasoning, brown sugar and allspice; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish (dish will be full). Place dish on a baking sheet. Arrange polenta slices over top; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Three-Bean Chili with Polenta Crust
Sort By :
"Fantastic...the kids even loved it!! Used kidney beans in place of pinto and used cinnamon and nutmeg only instead of all spice(I didn't have on hand)"
"Good recipe and I love the idea of the polenta . For individual taste preference and FAMILY TRADITION I subbed kidney beans for the pinto - I hate those. If I want to make CHILI CON CARNE (trans: chili with meat) I will just brown the meat, add water and eliminate the broth. I also suggest trying Mexican three cheese blend and chopped onions on top of the polenta with some more on the side. As is yum"
"I can't imagine chile without meat. Seems like a weird gazpacho that's hot."
"I am not sure how a person can review the taste and texture when the review is posted immediately after the recipe appears"