Three Bean Casserole Recipe
When our church cookbook was revised a couple years ago, this was included among the favorites. My husband and I are retired farmers. Our main crop was wheat, and we also raised three daughters and a son. We began growing beans when our son joined the operation. These days, our home is on 1 acre—the lawn, trees and a very small garden keep us busy. The truth is we sometimes have to make the time to do the things we want to do!
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1. In a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, combine beans; set aside. In a skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until beef is no longer pink. Remove from the heat; drain. Add all the remaining ingredients to skillet; mix well. Stir beef mixture into beans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 267 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 729 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC