Thick Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Assorted colored nonpareils, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, egg yolks and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, butter, shortening, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread over cookies. If desired, sprinkle with nonpareils. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews for Thick Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
"A really good cookie, but I have to admit I'm not a fan of the icing. I will definitely use the cookie recipe again, but will stick with just my plain powdered sugar and milk with a little vanilla glaze. I agree the dough is easy to work with and the cookies are very tasty!"
"This recipe was very easy to work with. My daughter and I rolled the cookies out and cut out Halloween shapes. I started a Wilton Cake decorating course last night and needed to take some plain round cookies to practice on so I cut out a few round ones for the class. They were perfect. My whole family really enjoyed them. This will be my go-to sugar cookie recipe from now on!"
"I'm not terribly good at baking, so if I can make these, so can you! They are so simple and always a hit with friends and co-workers."