- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Assorted colored nonpareils, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, egg yolks and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, butter, shortening, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread over cookies. If desired, sprinkle with nonpareils. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews for Thick Sugar Cookies
"easy and delicious"
"So very good moist cookie an loved the frosting my grandkids loved them"
"This recipe was very easy to work with. My daughter and I rolled the cookies out and cut out Halloween shapes. I started a Wilton cake decorating course last night and needed to take some plain round cookies to practice on so I cut out a few round ones for the class. They were perfect. My whole family really enjoyed them. This will be my go-to sugar cookie recipe from now on!"
"I'm not terribly good at baking, so if I can make these, so can you! They are so simple and always a hit with friends and co-workers."