Thick Sugar Cookies Recipe
A bit thicker than the norm, this sugar cookie is just like one you might find at a good bakery. My children often request these sweet treats for their birthdays and are always happy to help me decorate. —Heather Biedler, Martinsburg, West Virginia
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Assorted colored nonpareils, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, egg yolks and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, butter, shortening, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread over cookies. If desired, sprinkle with nonpareils. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 frosted cookie equals 219 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 92 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Thick Sugar Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC