This crowd-pleasing pizza is topped with a zippy sauce and family favorite ingredients. A co-worker shared the recipe with me.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, divided
- 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add egg, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, oil, sugar, salt, chili powder and 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce; beat until smooth. Add 1 cup flour; beat for 1 minute. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in onion, mushrooms, olives, green pepper and remaining tomato sauce and hot pepper sauce.
- Punch dough down; turn once onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 14-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Brush with butter. Top with meat mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 8-10 slices.
Originally published as Thick 'n' Chewy Pizza in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p110
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Thick 'n' Chewy Pizza
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 5, 2011
"I've made this pizza many times. Everyone loves it. I sometimes use 1/2 ground beef & 1/2 italian sausage. I also sprinkle parmesan over the top. It's great."