Hearty, flavorful ingredients and a thick, rich sauce make this a satisfying chili that's sure to win compliments on your cooking. It's a great way to serve a crowd during the big game or to warm up on a chilly evening. Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12 ounces center-cut bacon, diced
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder, optional
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve 3 tablespoons drippings.
- Brown beef in drippings. Add onion; cook until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Return bacon to pan. Stir in the next 12 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 3 hours.
- Add beans and heat through. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 4 quarts.
Originally published as Thick & Chunky Beef Chili in Healthy Cooking Recipe Cards 2009 2009, p15
Reviews for Thick & Chunky Beef Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review