The Firehouse Special Recipe
“This versatile dish can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It's great hot and cold, and it tastes even better the second day. Top with salsa or sour cream or both.” —Darrell F Alvord, Boise, Idaho
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 envelope leek soup mix
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in rice; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter; set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 3. In same skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add to meat mixture. Stir in spinach, cottage cheese, eggs, soup mixes, garlic powder, Creole seasoning and reserved rice mixture.
- 4. Divide between two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (10 servings each).
1 cup equals 315 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 136 mg cholesterol, 787 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC