- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) Johnsonville® Hot Ground Sausage
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 envelope leek soup mix
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in rice; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In same skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add to meat mixture. Stir in spinach, cottage cheese, eggs, soup mixes, garlic powder, Creole seasoning and reserved rice mixture.
- Divide between two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (10 servings each).
Reviews for The Firehouse Special
Sort By :
"Havent made this for a while, but still good!"
"This recipe was awesome. It's a great meal to put in the freezer and bake when you don't feel like making dinner.Our whole family loved it and with five kids that's not always easy.We make it quite often and I highly recommend it."
"The casserole itself was easy, just had an issue w/the amount of "soup mixes", 2 pkgs made it WAY too salty (and we all know, you can add salt to a dish after it's cooked & you know how it tastes, but you can't go back afterwards & take salt AWAY!) Will not add the 2nd packet of soup mix if I make again."
"Although this tasted OK, I think it took way to long to prepare and had too many ingredients which made it costly. You can get the same results by adding extras to a box of flavored rice for a quick tasty hot dish at little cost. Sorry."
"First time I made it I cut it in half because I didn't know if we would like it. We loved it, so next time I make it I will make the full recipe. The only thing I will do differently is double the mushrooms and add a can or two of seasoned black beans. It was sooo good!"