- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 envelope leek soup mix
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in rice; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In same skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add to meat mixture. Stir in spinach, cottage cheese, eggs, soup mixes, garlic powder, Creole seasoning and reserved rice mixture.
- Divide between two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (10 servings each).
Reviews for The Firehouse Special
"Havent made this for a while, but still good!"
"The casserole itself was easy, just had an issue w/the amount of "soup mixes", 2 pkgs made it WAY too salty (and we all know, you can add salt to a dish after it's cooked & you know how it tastes, but you can't go back afterwards & take salt AWAY!) Will not add the 2nd packet of soup mix if I make again."
"Although this tasted OK, I think it took way to long to prepare and had too many ingredients which made it costly. You can get the same results by adding extras to a box of flavored rice for a quick tasty hot dish at little cost. Sorry."
"First time I made it I cut it in half because I didn't know if we would like it. We loved it, so next time I make it I will make the full recipe. The only thing I will do differently is double the mushrooms and add a can or two of seasoned black beans. It was sooo good!"
"This is fast becoming a family favorite. My 12-year-old son asks for it every week!"
"My family enjoyed this casserole and it will definitely be in the "favorites" file. I plan to add sweet red peppers next time because it will improve the presentation as well as add flavor. However, it's good just the way it is."