The Best Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 small eggplants (about 1 pound each), peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cartons (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups (32 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook garlic in oil 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, olives, basil, capers, pepper flakes and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 45-60 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, for eggplant, place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. In another bowl, combine bread crumbs, garlic powder and oregano. Dip eggplant in flour, eggs, then bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook eggplant in batches in oil for 5 minutes on each side or until tender. Drain on paper towels. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, basil and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In each of two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes, layer 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce, four eggplant slices, 1 cup ricotta mixture and 2 cups mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle each with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for The Best Eggplant Parmesan(21)
Sort By :
This recipe is really good just not that good for you. I lightened it up with light ricotta and 2 1/2 C of cheese per 9x13 pan. I cut the oil back in the sauce but by all means make the sauce it was one of the best parts. I also baked the eggplants after coating them. Put them on a greased sheet bake at 350 for 30 min turning once. I am trying to go gluten free for a while so I substituted gluten free flour. mix for the white flour and crushed rice chex cereal for the bread crumbs. Worked just fine and nobody even knew. My kids ate it and my girlfriends loved it. Will make again.
Alfoa, almost every eggplant parmesan is cut lengthwise. This is very much likeTyler Perry's recipe from Foodnetwork.com but he doesn't peel the eggplant just trims the ends.
Just a hint to those who had trouble making the crumbs stick, next time use Panko flecks and press a little.
Just a hint to those who had trouble making the crumbs stick, next time use Panko flecks and press alittle.
5 stars for taste, 2 stars for the recipe itself. Some things should have been made more clear to avoid frustration. For example, the amount of eggplant was double what I needed. I had to cut them into 1/2 inch rounds, because to cut them lengthwise is not only strange (never seen eggplant parm that way), but the slices would be hard to dip into the ingredients later. Also, instead of adding seasoning to the breadcrumbs, why not just use italian flavored breadcrumbs. And instead of measuring out the flour and breadcrumbs, just start with a small amount and add as needed. I ended up throwing out a bowl of flour and another bowl of breadcrumbs. But, as the other reviewers said, it is a wonderful dish and I will definitely make again. Should be easier next time now that I am aware of the nuances of the recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Eggplant Casserole >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >