- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 small eggplants (about 1 pound each), peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cartons (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups (32 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook garlic in oil 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, olives, basil, capers, pepper flakes and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 45-60 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, for eggplant, place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. In another bowl, combine bread crumbs, garlic powder and oregano. Dip eggplant in flour, eggs, then bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook eggplant in batches in oil for 5 minutes on each side or until tender. Drain on paper towels. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, basil and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In each of two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes, layer 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce, four eggplant slices, 1 cup ricotta mixture and 2 cups mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle each with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for The Best Eggplant Parmesan
"Truly delicious, loved it and so did all the people that I shared it with. I topped it with some fresh mushrooms that I saut?ed in rosemary olive oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper and butter."
"this is simply, the BEST! well worth the extra time. the directions are great. Only change made was to substitute 1/2 panko for the 3c of bread crumbs. Fabulous!! Thank you!"
"I followed this recipe exactly as it was written. I definately took note of the folks that stated they broiled the eggplant rather then fried it. However I wanted to try the recipe prior to tweeking it. This was one of the best eggplant parmesan recepies I have made. Next time around I would add more red pepper as I like spicy. I would NOT subsitute a store bought spaghetti sauce.. NOOO WAY :) I used eggplant from our garden. Spend the extra time making this, it's WORTH the time!"
"Well, I didn't even follow the Recipe Exactly (close enough though) and it came out to be Better than any "Lasagne" I've ever made - and I'm a pretty good cook..It Helps of course when you use Organic Ingredients throughout - or at Least the Eggplant...first words out of my daughters mouth were "This one's a Keeper." Excellent Recipe - Well Done to the originator.!."
"I love this recipe! I make it every summer with fresh egg plant out of my garden, yum. thanks for sharing this recipe. It really is The Best Eggplant Parmesan.:-)"