- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked chorizo or Johnsonville® Hot Ground Sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3 teaspoons each ground cumin, chili powder and paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Crumble chorizo into a large skillet; add onion. Cook over medium heat until meat is fully cooked; drain. Add beans, tomato sauce, corn, chilies, salsa, cilantro and seasonings; heat through.
- Place six tortillas in the bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with 3-1/2 cups meat mixture, the tomatoes and 1 cup cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, meat mixture and cheese.
- Cover and bake 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for The Best Derned Southwestern Casserole
Sort By :
This recipe is a keeper & will make again.
My family of 6 loved this. I served it with hot buttered corn tortillas but it would also be great with an accompanyment of guacamole or sour cream, or even a side of cornbread. Will definitely be making this again.
This wasn't a bad dish, but it wasn't what I expected. Thought this would really spotlight the flavor of the chorizo, but instead the chorizo flavor just got lost in the mix.
Really liked this recipe, I did use 1 lb of ground chuck and 1/2 lb of sausage instead of all sausage, it was very easy to put together and it was a big hit a dinner, I will be making it again and giving the recipe to friends.
Loved this recipe! I substituted ground beef for the sausage and forgot the cilantro! But it turned out great, whole family loved it, even my 5 & 11 year old boys. Will definitly make this again!
More Recipe Collections
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mexican Casserole Recipes >
- Mexican Casseroles >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Pork Casserole >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >