Thanksgiving Stuffed Turkey Recipe
- 1 turkey (16 to 18 pounds) with giblets and neck
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) day-old egg bread, cubed
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 medium carrot, halved
- 1 celery rib, halved
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 cups water, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Reserve turkey giblets and neck; cover and refrigerate. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up. Melt 1/4 cup butter; brush over turkey. Sprinkle with seasonings.
- 2. Roast, uncovered, until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 4 to 4-1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes after the first hour. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- 3. In a large skillet, heat remaining butter over medium heat; saute vegetables until tender. In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, parsley and onion mixture; stir in broth and egg substitute. Divide mixture between two greased 2-qt. baking dishes. Bake, covered, until a thermometer reads 165°, about 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes.
- 4. For gravy, place vegetables, seasonings, 4 cups water and reserved giblets and neck in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until giblets are tender, about 1 hour. Strain stock; return to pan.
- 5. Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. Skim fat from pan drippings; add remaining drippings and loosened browned bits from roasting pan to stock.
- 6. Mix flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into stock mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve with turkey and stuffing. Yield: 24 servings (3 cups gravy, 16 cups stuffing).
1 serving: 534 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 408mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 53g protein
Reviews for Thanksgiving Stuffed Turkey
"I wanted to try a new turkey recipe for a change. The gravy was very good but not worth all the extra work and time. The stuffing was okay but I think it would be better without the carrots. The turkey was moist and delicious."
"I've always been terrified at making gravy, this by far was the best tasting, fail-proof, will-definitely-do-again recipe I've ever done. My family loved it! Great job!"
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer