Thai-Style Green Beans Recipe
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- Minced fresh cilantro and chopped dry roasted peanuts, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, peanut butter and red pepper flakes; set aside.
- 2. In a small skillet, saute shallot and ginger in oil over medium heat for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add green beans; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add reserved sauce; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cilantro and peanuts if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup: 168 calories, 12g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 476mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Thai-Style Green Beans
"Had to use ground ginger and onions in place of shallots- still spectacular flavor!"
"The Hoisin sauce seemed out of place to me in this dish. The dish was too sweet for me, and it tasted more like Chinese food than Thai food. I made this dish to supplement some Thai carry-out, and it didn't go. If I were to make this again, I'd cut back on the Hoisin (or find a substitution), and/or I'd eat it with the rice, as opposed to serving it as a side dish the way I did. I think adding meat would have been good too. I was just reading on BuzzFeed that they suggest using Hoisin sauce with meat (rather than vegetables), and I think I agree.Also, I used Skippy peanut butter, and I think that was a mistake. It just made the dish all the sweeter. Next time, I'd use an all-natural, no-sugar-added peanut butter."
"Hubby liked this recipe. I wasn't wild about it."
"Really enjoyed this recipe...it made a perfect side with vegan Thai pineapple fried rice, and provided a use for the vegetarian hoisin sauce that has been languishing in my pantry. Salty, sweet, crispy, spicy; in the tradition of Thai cooking, this recipe has it all. Thanks so much; will definitely make again!"
"I thought this was good. I love Mala String Beans when we go out for Chinese food. Can't quite figure out what makes it so special. Tonite we added chicken to this, also rice, also the peanuts. It still needed some zing. Perhaps next time we will add jalapeno peppers to it for some spice."
"This is a pretty classic Thai style recipe, with the exception of the cilantro. I don't know if it's because I'm from the Southwest, but cilantro is something I connect with Mexican food. It has a flavor all its own. But, oh yeah baby, you gotta add the chopped dry roasted peanuts to this one. Yummy!"
"I tried this based on the positive reviews and yuck! I did not like the combination of ingredients in the sauce - the taste was odd and overpowering and the consistency of the sauce with the green beans was odd."