Thai-Style Black Bean Salad Recipe
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Cook corn according to package directions. Transfer to a small bowl; add the beans, onion, celery, red pepper, cilantro and jalapeno.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, lime juice, garlic, ginger and salt. Pour over bean mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup: 198 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 517mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Thai-Style Black Bean Salad
"Unique, fresh and easy! Simple to amend to your liking. I made the recipe to the letter (and recommend it), then played with the ginger and lime to customize it for my table. Yum!"
"I thought the sesame oil and cilantro were a little bit overpowering. Next time I cut back on both of those. I also wondered how a little mint would go in place of the cilantro. Anyway, it's a good solid recipe that I plan to use again, especially with fresh sweet corn."
"Excellent salad. I added fresh, diced zucchini to the recipe. I also decreased the sesame oil to 1 Tblsp + 1 tsp while increasing the rice vinegar and lime juice by 1 tsp each. I did this so it wouldn't be quite as oily while retaining the flavor. It helped cut about 90 calories for the entire recipe (23 less calories per serving) and was fabulous!"
"So good, zesty & fresh!!!"
"I love this recipe; it was easy to make and easy to keep in the fridge as a pull out dish on heart summer nights and better after a few days anyway"
"Delicious. I added some sesame seeds and cucumbers because I wanted to use them up and I tossed everything except the corn and beans in the food processor to make quick work of the chopping. This was delicious."
"very yummy. I used frozen grated gingerroot so next time I'll do fresh as I felt the ginger flavor was barely there."
"This salad was delicious! It makes a great nutritious lunch. The sesame oil really gives it a nice flavor. I will definitely make again. Next time though, I want to try scallions or a red onion instead of a regular yellow onion."
"My husband was disappointed at first when I told him I'd made a different black bean and corn salad than the southwestern one he likes so much....until he tasted this one and now he swears it's his new favorite!Denise, Souderton PA"