- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 lemon grass stalk
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole baby corn, drained and cut in half
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the broth, water, brown sugar, ginger, fish sauce, curry paste and lemon grass. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; carefully stir in shrimp and edamame. Cook, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Add the coconut milk, corn, bamboo shoots, basil, cilantro, lime juice, lime peel and curry powder; heat through. Discard lemon grass. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Thai Shrimp Soup
Sort By :
"Nice & delicious recipe!"
"This was quick and easy."
"Wow is all I can say. What a great taste and easy to make. I did not have lemongrass - used lemon peel and lime juice."
"This is really fantastic and light on the calories. You can really taste the lime in this so if you don't like lime; I'd skip it. I will be making this over and over again!"
"Yummy! Yummy!Our whole family loved this soup, and my sons ate two helpings each!I substituted green curry paste for red, and lemon zest for lemon grass. We ate the soup served over long noodles.This is a new family favourite! I can't wait to make it for friends."