- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 lemon grass stalk
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole baby corn, drained and cut in half
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the broth, water, brown sugar, ginger, fish sauce, curry paste and lemon grass. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; carefully stir in shrimp and edamame. Cook, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Add the coconut milk, corn, bamboo shoots, basil, cilantro, lime juice, lime peel and curry powder; heat through. Discard lemon grass. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Thai Shrimp Soup
"I follow this recipe for its broth. The flavor is good enough but not spicy enough for me. So I added a few more tablespoon of curry paste to get to the spicy level that I like."
"Nice & delicious recipe!"
"This was quick and easy."
"Wow is all I can say. What a great taste and easy to make. I did not have lemongrass - used lemon peel and lime juice."
"This is really fantastic and light on the calories. You can really taste the lime in this so if you don't like lime; I'd skip it. I will be making this over and over again!"