Here's a deliciously different salad that blends grilled shrimp, a lean source of protein, with the low-calorie crunch of cucumber and onion. It's tossed and dressed with Thai flavors of sesame, cilantro, lime and refreshing mint. Annette Traverso - San Rafael, California
Recommended: 77 Tropical Recipes for a Taste-cation Anytime
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh mint
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups torn leaf lettuce
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper; thread onto two metal or soaked wooden skewers.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-4 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink.
- Stir reserved dressing; add the shrimp, onion and cucumber. Toss to coat. Divide lettuce among two salad plates; top with shrimp mixture and serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Thai Shrimp Salad for 2 in Healthy Cooking