Thai Restaurant Chicken Recipe
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat peanut butter
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch, brown sugar and pepper. Add broth; stir until smooth. Stir in the vinegar, soy sauce and peanut butter; set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in 1 teaspoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. Stir-fry the onion and red pepper in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 4. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup stir-fry with 1/2 cup rice equals 359 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 704 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer