Texas Two-Step Corn Medley
I came up with this pleasing pairing of corn and summer squash as a side dish for a Mexican buffet. Family and friends who have tried it are generous with their compliments and recipe requests. This delicious dish is a regular menu item when husband Bob and I entertain.
-Pauline Howard, Lago Vista, Texas
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) Mexicorn, drained
- 3/4 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the squash,
- garlic, chilies, salt and pepper. Saute until squash is
- crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add corn; cook and stir for 2
- minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until the cheese
- is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 273 calories, 18 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 841 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 8 g protein.