"My aunt shared this great South Texas dish with me," relates Billy Boyd of Houston, Texas. With just four ingredients, the spicy southwestern casserole can be served swiftly...and will undoubtedly disappear quickly. "When I take it to church dinners, there are not leftovers," he says.
- 1 package (6.8 ounces) Spanish rice and pasta mix
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) beef tamales, drained and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare rice mix according to package directions. Meanwhile, spoon chili into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with tamales.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10 minutes. Top with cooked rice; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Texas Tamale Pie in Quick Cooking March/April 2005, p57
Reviews for Texas Tamale Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 16, 2011
"Great, quick, recipe. The first I made it I used one can of beef tamales...after that I have been using 2 cans. Great dish for leftovers too."