Texas Tacos Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-1/3 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 20 taco shells, warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped fresh tomatoes and reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef, red pepper and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles. Drain.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, chili powder and salt; bring to a boil. Add rice; heat through. Serve in taco shells with toppings of your choice. Yield: 10 servings.
2 tacos (calculated without optional toppings): 294 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 420mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Reviews for Texas Tacos
"Great, tasty, filling recipe. I was telling my daughter about it and she said my grandsons (5 and 2) would love it, so I've promised to make it for them soon. I actually just threw about a cup of minute rice into the skillet with the other ingredients after browning the hamburger, onion and pepper and it cooked right along without having to dirty up another pan. Thank you for sharing the recipe."
"Delicious, easy to make - better than the taco packets/seasoning!"