- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-1/3 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 20 taco shells, warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped fresh tomatoes and reduced-fat sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef, red pepper and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles. Drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, chili powder and salt; bring to a boil. Add rice; heat through. Serve in taco shells with toppings of your choice. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forTexas Tacos
"This was good, but not really "Texas Tacos". I've never eaten tacos that had corn or rice in them even when visiting Mexico. However as I stated, this was good. But hey, what ever floats your boat, right!"
"Great, tasty, filling recipe. I was telling my daughter about it and she said my grandsons (5 and 2) would love it, so I've promised to make it for them soon. I actually just threw about a cup of minute rice into the skillet with the other ingredients after browning the hamburger, onion and pepper and it cooked right along without having to dirty up another pan. Thank you for sharing the recipe."
"Delicious, easy to make - better than the taco packets/seasoning!"