I created this recipe by combining a bunch of ingredients I know my kids always like. It's perfect for making ahead and I often keep the beefy mixture in a slow cooker on warm so the kids can simply stuff into taco shells after an afternoon of rigorous soccer practice. —Susan Scully, Mason, Ohio
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-1/3 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 20 taco shells
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped fresh tomatoes and reduced-fat sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef, red pepper and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles. Drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, chili powder and salt; bring to a boil. Add rice; heat through. Serve in taco shells with toppings of your choice. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Texas Tacos in Simple & Delicious August/September 2013, p29
Reviews for Texas Tacos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review