- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) corn chips
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup picante sauce, optional
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add next seven ingredients; simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add beans and heat through. On a platter, layer the corn chips, rice, meat mixture, cheese, onion, lettuce, tomatoes and olives. Serve with picante sauce if desired. Yield: 20 servings.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Texas Taco Dip Platter
"wow... 1 serving is 472 calories and 950 mg of sodium and 43 grams of carbs - no thanks! I will also be making this - but I will used sodium reduced of everything! great recipe... just TOO much sodium!"
"Don't change a thing."
"I've been making a dish like this for years, we call it "dinner nachos" because it's got meat, veggies and lots of cheese. The nice thing about it is that you can vary the ingredients to whatever is on hand or you're in the mood for. I use extra lean ground beef so I don't have to drain it. I've always thought it was silly to add onions, garlic and spices to ground beef and then drain away those flavors when the meat was done cooking."
"Added fresh roasted green chilies to the meat mixture as it simmered and fresh jap on top of the pile. I think salsa and maybe a dollop of sour cream on top would be good."
"Made this last night with a couple of substitutes. Instead of the tomato paste & puree, I just added a container of my favorite deli salsa to the meat. Definitely a hit at our house. Will be making it again!"