- 1 cup bulgur
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- Place bulgur in a large bowl; stir in boiling water. Let stand, covered, 30 minutes or until bulgur is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain well, pressing out excess water. Cool completely.
- Stir in tomatoes, onions, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, oil and seasonings. Add beans; toss to combine. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes. Serve with cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Texas Tabbouleh
"Prepared as directed. The response from folks, "It's okay". It was a lot of work for "okay"."
"Delicious! I used Israeli couscous instead, because that's what I had at home. I couldn't stop eating it!"
"Absolutely fabulous! Easy to make and really good for you!! This is a regular for me now!!"
"I am always skeptical of recipes that are Texas adapted, but this is great. A good hearty salad or a vegetarian lunch. I substituted black eyed peas for black beans and cherry tomatoes, but still great. For a Texas taste, use queso fresco, not feta."
"Interesting combination of flavors"
"I prepared this recipe for a food demo highlighting healthy grains. I used quinoa instead. Very nice, the feta cheese gave it nice tang. Beautiful colors"
"We enjoyed this recipe last night along with grilled lamb. The recipe is very easy to make...directions are clear...except one step is missing...doesn't say how to prep the tomatoes, but I chopped them like the other veggies. I used feta cheese and parsley instead of cilantro. I would make this recipe again and again."
"Very nice. I took it to a pot luck and everyone enjoyed it. The black beans add a nice colour contrast."