Texas-Style Spanish Rice Recipe
The original version of this recipe was given to me by a Mexican friend, but I've modified the spices to suit my family's tastes. It's become a favorite at our house—see if it doesn't do the same at yours! —Melissa Pride, Plano, Texas
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. In a skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil for about 2 minutes. Add rice and stir until coated with oil. Add tomatoes, turmeric, cumin, salt, garlic powder and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Add cilantro if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 166 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 279 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC