Texas-Style Lasagna Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 package (1-1/4 ounces) taco seasoning
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), torn
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: crushed tortilla chips, salsa and cubed avocado
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the seasoned salt, taco seasoning mix, tomatoes, tomato sauce and chilies. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese and eggs.
- 2. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: meat sauce, tortillas, cottage cheese mixture and Monterey Jack cheese. Repeat layers.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with toppings if desired.
- 4. Freeze Option: Before baking, cover and freeze lasagna up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary for a thermometer to read 160°. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 349 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 1041mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein .
Reviews for Texas-Style Lasagna
"This was my kinda recipe. Easy and super de duper delicious! My husband wasn't crazy about the cottage cheese, but I thought it was wonderful in it. The leftovers were just as yummy!"
"EX!!!!! This is very tasty recipe also very easy to make...Will make this often with no changes... Thank you for a great recipe...."
"I thought this was very good and easy to make. I did make two changes but they weren't big changes, so I will still give this recipe 5 stars. I didn't have Monterey Jack cheese so I used up the shredded cheeses I had, which were 1 cup medium cheddar, 2 cups Mozzarella, and 1 cup spicy Habanero cheese. Since I like Monterey Jack that cheese would have been just as yummy. Also I added a layer of 1 can of refried beans. I liked this addition but again, the recipe would have been very good without it. I do think the recipe could have used more tortilla layers so next time I would add another 1 or 2 layers of tortillas. Also, layering it according to the directions would have the cottage cheese on top of the tortilla layer. I thought that would dry out the cottage cheese so I put the tortillas over the cottage cheese and then ended with a layer of shredded cheese."
"The whole family loved this one! I am having to learn to cook for two since the kids are off to college. These same preppies asked me to submit this one for their school cookbook; wow! I love that I can use my 9 inch cake pans for it and freeze them for small dinners for my hubby and I, or give them to friends for get well or congrats gifts. I have used a variety of cheeses to change the flavors to suit my needs as well. And since I like mine cheesy, I sometimes will add extra with no problems. I have shared this with my Texas friends who love that they can add their own level of spice."
"I was skeptical about this recipe and a bit confused about how much to tear the tortillas, but I was very surprised by how great it blended together when it baked. I substituted chopped green peppers for the chilis and added extra red pepper, cilantro, and chili powder. It was even better warmed up the second day!"
"This has become one of my favorite recipes to make ever- for company and just for the family! I use flour tortillas instead of corn, and I use ricotta cheese instead of cottage. But other than that I make this recipe exactly as it is written. LOVE IT. :)"
"So easy and tasty. My husband and I really liked it, but my son-in-law didn't. I think he would have liked it better if I hadn't told him that it was Texas "lasagna." He probably expected lasagna noodles."
"This was almost better then regular lasagna - I had doubts, but it was amazing and I can't wait to make it again!"
"made this recipe on a whim...loved, loved it. Easy to make (and I don't like cooking). Recipe was very filling and flavorful."
"It was even better two days later, loved it and I will make this again. Thanks for a great recipe Effie."
"We loved this recipe. It was very moist and flavorful! Even our 2-year old loved it and wanted seconds."