Texas-Style Lasagna Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 package (1-1/4 ounces) taco seasoning
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), torn
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: crushed tortilla chips, salsa and cubed avocado
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the seasoned salt, taco seasoning mix, tomatoes, tomato sauce and chilies. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese and eggs.
- 2. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the meat sauce, half of the tortillas, half the cottage cheese mixture and half of the Monterey Jack cheese. Repeat layers.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with toppings if desired.
- 4. Serve immediately or before baking, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- 5. To use frozen lasagna: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 349 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 1,041 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.