- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1 fresh beef brisket (6 pounds)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, bay leaves, garlic, celery salt, pepper and, if desired, liquid smoke. Cut brisket in half; add to bag. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer beef to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker; add broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until tender.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients; heat through.
- Remove brisket from the slow cooker; discard bay leaves. Place 1 cup cooking juices in a measuring cup; skim fat. Add to the barbecue sauce. Discard remaining juices.
Return brisket to the slow cooker; top with sauce mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Thinly slice beef across the grain; serve with sauce.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of sliced brisket in freezer containers; top with cooking sauce. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 12 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Texas-Style Beef Brisket
Sort By :
"I have wanted to make this recipe for a long time, so when my sister was visiting we thought let's give it a go! Anyways, neither of us read the recipe properly, and just made the barbeque sauce and put the meat in it in the slow cooker and cooked it for 4 hours on high. It was absolutely awesome!!!! Anyways, going back to review the recipe I realized we'd made it totally wrong, and it didn't even matter!"
"This is REALLY good!! The meat is great in French rolls, dipped in sauce."
"There aren't very many recipes my family rate as excellent, but this one was a keeper."
"One of my husband's favourite home-cooked meals :) Side it up with mashed potatoes & broccoli.... DELICIOUS!!!!!"
"This was THE best brisket I have ever had. I served it to company and both men said it was out of this world. I believe you could get a man to propose if you served this!"