Texas-Style BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Yield: 1-3/4 cups.
2 tablespoons: 56 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein .
Reviews for Texas-Style BBQ Sauce
"This sauce is really good. It wasn't spicy, so I added 1 teaspoon of Cheyenne pepper to give it a little zip. It was spicy enough for me, but my husband would have liked more spice. We used the sauce on grilled wings."
"This recipe was great! It was sweeter than it was spicy so my 7 year old ate it & loved it!!! Definitely keep this recipe!"
"I've never made my own BBQ sauce, and the sweet-sour of this looked good. I used it in the BBQ chicken Sliders recipe from the April/May 2013 issue (http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/BBQ-chicken-Sliders?cpi=1&sort=2). Oh. My. Word. is this some delicious sauce. This will definitely become a regular thing in our house. Yum!"
"This BBQ sauce is thick and flavorful with just the right amount of zing - perfect for basting. My family enjoys it especially on grilled food."
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.