- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, bring the butter, water and cocoa to a boil. Remove from the heat. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; add to cocoa mixture. Stir in the sour cream until smooth.
- Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; add milk and cocoa. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Pour over warm cake. Cool completely on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews for Texas Sheet Cake
Sort By :
"I haven't made this recipe in ages but I needed a simple dessert to serve at a dinner for 30 young men. I like it because it is a one pan mix and easy clean-up. Pan size is important - I do have a larger jelly roll pan and I would estimate it would need a recipe and a half to fill it. Mine raised just to the edge of the shallow pan. . . make sure you use baking soda NOT baking powder. I wasn't paying attention and did that to one batch. The frosting is fine but actually it is a bit too much for the size - not sure half a recipe would be enough but the full recipe was too much. Otherwise it is simple. If you want to cut calories you can go with 1/2 stick butter and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce and I used low-fat sour cream. You can also use Splenda for the sugar."
"The cake had an inconsistent texture and the frosting was, for lack of better description, strange. The entire thing was un-servable."
"my icing did not turn out like picture, followed the directions, how do I get it like the photoThanks"
"My cake didn't turn out. Was all mushy and I even cooked it longer. Dissappointed. I have seen this recipe with eggs??"
"I used a slightly bigger sheet pan than called for but it rose over the pan and spilled into my oven! But the cake taste really good. I will make it again but will use an even bigger sheet pan."