Texas Ranch-Style Stew Recipe
- 1 cup small shell pasta
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (5-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium V8 juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Southwestern diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta; stir into stew. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 307 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 886 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Texas Ranch-Style Stew
"This didn't WOW me but it's a good weeknight supper that comes together quickly and is relatively healthy."
"A little too spicy for me as is, but my husband loved it! We'll make it again with less or lower heat chili powder."
"My husband and I love this! The only change we've made is to use a can of Rotel tomatoes instead of "southwestern" tomatoes. I also cheat and use frozen chopped peppers and onions when I don't have fresh on hand, and we can't even tell the difference. I love that I can make something so tasty from ingredients I always have on hand!"
"This stew is wonderful, thick and chunky and very healthy. Even my childcare children love it! To make it even healthier I used 99% fat free ground turkey instead of beef, and whole grain shell noodles instead of regular noodles. I also just add the noodles to the mixture when I add the 'remaining ingredients'. They cook up just fine with the stew and then you don't have to dirty another pot making the noodles!"
"This recipe was ok. Not one of my favorites. I couldn't find the ranch style beans."
"So easy to make and taste AWESOME!!"
"My husband and I love this quick recipe. I add a can of mushrooms and a couple of chopped jalapenos. It has taken the place of our favorite chilli recipe."
"This was really good. The baked beans really gave it good flavor!"
"my family loves this. Quick and hearty. Thank you much!"
"This is a great stew! I do add a little crushed red pepper to spice it up. Have already made this recipe again and again!"