- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb, but do not peel or separate cloves. Cut top off of garlic bulb, exposing individual cloves. Brush cut cloves with 1 teaspoon oil. Wrap in foil. Bake until cloves are soft, 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over low heat, heat remaining oil. Add onion; cook until golden brown, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a food processor. Process until blended; set aside.
Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain; return to pan. Squeeze softened garlic onto potatoes; add butter, sour cream, cheese, milk, salt, pepper and onion. Beat until mashed.
Freeze option: Place cooled mashed potato mixture in a freezer container and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high, stirring twice and adding a little milk if necessary, until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Texas Garlic Mashed Potatoes
"I like the creaminess of cream cheese, so I added softened cream cheese to this. It was perfect."
"I didn't add sour cream but I added milk. It still tasted great!"
"Very nice! A crowd pleaser!"
"This is the best mashed potato recipe ever!"
"Awesome potatoes! Loved them!!"
"Wow! Awesome! Bit hit with all. Served more like 4 in my family rather than 6. I think most went back for seconds."
"Yum! Yum! Yum! I happened to serve this with a lemon chicken recipe, and they flavor complimented it perfectly! :)"
"This was delicious! I didn't bother puréed the onions, I just added them in as they were."
"Ok so I'm jumping the gun a bit! But this sounds amazing. I am making it today for Thanksgiving. so I will come back and let you know for sure. I'm pretty confident that this is gonna be great!"
"These were delicious and worth the extra effort. Will definitley make again."