Texas Enchiladas Recipe
Whenever I'm feeling homesick for my native state of Texas I make this authentic recipe. But you sure don't have to be a Texan to enjoy it!—Norma Davis, Ouray, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 12 corn tortillas (10 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1. In a skillet, cook ground beef and onion until the meat is browned and onion is tender; drain. Stir in chili powder, salt, pepper and 1-1/2 cups cheese.
- 2. Soften tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/4 cup meat mixture onto each tortilla. Roll up and place, seam side down, in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- 3. For sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in flour; cook until bubbly. Add remaining sauce ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Pour over tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC