Texas Corn Chowder
THIS RECIPE has been a favorite in our family for years. Now that we have an empty nest, I took it upon myself to cut the recipe down to serve two so we can still enjoy it. The jalapeno adds a little zip and color!
-Mildred Sherrer, Bay City , Texas
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup diced peeled potato (1 medium)
- 1 cup water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeno or green chilies
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash paprika
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in
- flour. Add the potato, water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 7-10 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Add the corn, jalapeno, milk and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 15
- minutes. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 364 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 978 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 13 g protein.