A spicy way to dress up rice, this southwestern salad will impress at the dinner table or at a potluck lunch. Just add a hearty appetite!—Linda Morten, Somerville, TX
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- Stir in the turkey, tomatoes, corn, green pepper and onion. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, cilantro, chilies, vinegar, lime juice, mustard, cumin, garlic salt and pepper flakes. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Chill until serving. Just before serving, stir in avocado. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/3 cups each).
Originally published as Texas Confetti Rice Salad in Country Woman October/November 2009, p33
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Texas Confetti Rice Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review