Texas Chili con Carne Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, chili powder, oregano, salt if desired, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Yield: 2 servings.
One serving (1-1/3 cups) equals 357 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 1,247 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 2 starch.