- 1-1/4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook beef until no longer pink, adding oil if desired; drain. Add onion, garlic powder, pepper and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat is almost tender.
- Add tomatoes, cumin and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until meat is tender. Yield: 4 servings (1 quart).
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Texas Beef Stew
"This was really good! I used 1/2 cup onion instead and added 1 teaspoon of Cajun Seasoning to the final simmering. I also added 2 cups of carrots as suggested by other reviewers. Leftovers the next day are even better! Will definitely make this again."
"We live in West Texas, so we like things with some spice. This stew really fit the bill. It was hearty and tasty and had a nice kick. My husband kept saying "wow" and "superb" as he ate it! I added some cubed carrots and potatoes during the last 20 minutes of cooking (like some of the other reviewers) and would do this next time, as well."
"This recipe was very tasty! I added a few fresh carrots and it made it even better! Next time I will add some potatoes and a lil beef broth."
"This tastes great and is super easy to make. I added some chopped up potatoes and carrots, just because I like lots of veggies in the stew. I added them in that last 20 minutes, along with a little extra liquid. I also used a couple TB of cornstarch to thicken it a bit."
"Very good recipe. Unfortunitally i did not have a can of diced tomatoes, instead i took the tomatoes diced them up, put them in some water and added some seasoning salt and let them sit. I also added some chili powder and kidney beans. My husband's and brother in law's response was "This is amazing!" thank you so much for the recipe!"