Texas Beef Stew Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook beef until no longer pink, adding oil if desired; drain. Add onion, garlic powder, pepper and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat is almost tender.
- Add tomatoes, cumin and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until meat is tender. Yield: 4 servings (1 quart).
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Texas Beef Stew(2)
Sort By :
We live in West Texas, so we like things with some spice. This stew really fit the bill. It was hearty and tasty and had a nice kick. My husband kept saying "wow" and "superb" as he ate it! I added some cubed carrots and potatoes during the last 20 minutes of cooking (like some of the other reviewers) and would do this next time, as well.
It was quick & easy, but it was so average that I received no comments at all from my family when I made it.